Learning Week II: Business Modelling
“Business Modelling” aims to introduce the ESRs to business modelling and the development of a project.
The meeting will take place at the Inria research center at Sophia Antipolis, in the Kahn building, rooms K1 and K2. Lunches and breaks will be served on site.
Programme of the event:
The event will start on Monday afternoon and will close on Friday at noon.
Monday March 19 : From mathematical knowledge to a company.
12:30-13:30 : Lunch at Inria
14:00-15:00 : Baptiste Fosty – Ekinnox
- Title : From research engineering to running a company
- Abstract : EKINNOX is a startup stemming from Inria, whose mission is to develop a gait analysis system to help caregivers in rehabilitation institutes. After 3 years of experience as a research engineer in a computer vision team, this presentation will show the different steps that led to the creation of the EKINNOX company, with a focus on the non-technical aspects.
15:00-16:00 : Friedemann Groh – ISG Industrielle Steuerungstechnik GmbH
- Title : ARCADES – a part of STEP-NC
- Abstract : CNC machines have been around since the 1950s, shortly after the first computers were invented. They are controlled by G-code,
a programming language that describes the production of workpieces. It describes the curves on which the tools move and is
therefore a key element of automation technology. However, the standards increase. G-code only knows circles and straight lines,
and that is no longer enough. A new geometric description is urgently needed and this demand can create new business fields.This problem has already been identified. STEP-NC is an approach for a new programming language in manufacturing technology.
It takes up many important and new ideas, but so far the mathematical description of product geometry does not seem
to have been sufficiently taken into account. Thus, ARCADES find answers to difficult customer problems.How to lead it to business success?The lecturer describes these problems from the perspective of ISG, a company founded at the University of Stuttgart.
16:00-16:30 : Coffee break
16:30-17:30 : Alexander Leutgeb – RISC Software GmbH
- Title : Commercialization of a research idea on the example of the Virtual Modeling Library
- Abstract : The Virtual Modeling Library (VML) is a software library, which implements new algorithms for the exact geometric modeling of solids for real-time simulations. It supports Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) like operations and solid sweeping. In this presentation you will see the way of bringing a research idea into a sustainable business model on the example of the Virtual Modeling Library. You will learn about problems arising when academic solutions meet requirements from real world applications and that out of the stages basic research, industrial research and product development, the last part demands the most endurance. Finally you will learn about the advantages to have a pilot customer at hand.
19h30-21h30: Social dinner in the restaurant Le Transat in Antibes, located 17 avenue du 11 novembre.
Tuesday to Thursday, March 20-22 :
Three days of training on “Business Modelling and development of the project “.
This training will mix theorical presentation as well as a practical work to apply concepts
Detailed program : LW2-Vianeo-Program
Friday March 23 :
9:30-10:30 : Discussion on next Arcades activities.
10:30-11:00 : Coffee break and closing.
Lunch will be available at Inria.
Here are some suggestions for lodging in Antibes with an easy access by bus to Sophia Antipolis by bus.
Schedule of the buses can be found here :
Organizors: Laurent Busé and Sophie Honnorat. Contact us if you have any questions.